Serves 2-4, with white rice (probably 2)
If duck is frozen, begin defrosting, ideally, 5 days ahead.
1 Pekin (Long Island) duck, 5-6 lb., giblets removed
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. fine grated orange zest
1.5 tsp. coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1.25 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
.5 tsp ground pepper
3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. orange liqueur (Grand Marnier, Triple Sec, etc.)
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
.5 cup thin sliced cucumbers
3-4 scallions, halved, and then quartered, lengthwise
10-pack Mandarin pancakes
1) Combine spice rub ingredients in spice grinder and grind fine.
2) Prep duck: remove neck, feet, wing tips, and remove excess skin around neck and rear openings.
3) Score the duck fat all over -- breasts, legs, wings, and back -- in a crosshatch pattern, every .5 in., being certain not to cut the meat.
4) Rub 2/3 of the mixture in the duck cavity and the remaining 1/3 over the exterior.
5) Set duck on a rack placed over paper towels to air dry in the refrigerator, 24-48 hrs.
6) 4 hours before serving time, remove duck from refrigerator so it comes to room temp, 1 hr. After 45 minutes, pre-heat stove to 325º.
7) Place duck, breasts down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 1.25 hrs. Flip duck, breasts up, and continue roasting, another 1.25 hrs.
8) Meanwhile, prepare garnishes and combine ingredients for glaze. Prep ingredients for bok choy.
9) Check for doneness. The thigh should pierce very easily and should register 175º on an instant read thermometer. Drain rendered duck fat.
10) Raise oven temp to 525º and glaze duck breasts and thighs with .5 the prepared glaze.
11) Once it comes to temp, return bird to oven, 5 min. Glaze with remaining glaze and roast for 5 min.
12) Transfer duck to cutting board to rest. Prepare stir-fry. Microwave pancakes according to manufacturer's instructions.
Stir-Fried Bok Choy
1.5 lb. baby bok choy
2 tbsp. peanut oil
2 tsp. minced ginger
2 scallions, sliced thin
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 pinch ground pepper
1) Prep bok choy: Cut off 1/8th in. from stem ends. Slice across in .5 in. slices.
2) Combine ginger, scallion, & garlic.
3) Combine salt, sugar, & pepper.
4) Heat oil in wok or large frying pan until just smoking.
5) Add ginger, scallions, & garlic. Stir-fry 30 sec.
6) Add bok choy and seasoning. Stir-fry until white parts are just tender.